Technology and Apps For Planning and Grilling
These days, not even the old-fashioned grill or simple picnic is safe from the tentacles of technology.
To make planning your summer festivities a little easier, consider these smartphone apps:
- Picnic Planner— pre-loaded with over 275 typical picnic to-do’s, reminders and lists, this app also lets you add your own items (Android)
- Simple Soiree— manage your shopping lists, your menu, even your guest lists and replies with this comprehensive party planner (iPhone)
If you prefer to do your planning on your computer rather than your phone, try these nifty tools:
- Perfect Potluck— a free online tool to help coordinate group events with multiple contributors
- Pingg— an alternative to eVite, pingg offers large galleries of designs for online invitations, as well as guest management tools and trackers
- PunchBowl— in addition to online invitations and party planning tools and suggestions, this site offers an extensive database of local vendors across a variety of categories
It’s not just about the planning, however. There are also apps to make you better griller. Weber, the famous BBQ manufacturer, offers Weber’s On The Grillfor the iPhone and iPad with how-to videos, grilling recipes, recipes for rubs and marinades, and a grill timer. Ask The Butcher(iPhone, iPad) not only provides visual definitions of various cuts of meats, it also supplies recipes and cooking times. For Android users, Steak Timer Pluslets you input your grill’s temp, the steak’s thickness and the diner’s desired doneness and then tells you when to flip and when to serve.
For more grilling apps, see LifeScoop’s High Tech Tools for Grilling Success.